Homemade Twix Bars are better than ........
Well pretty much everything.
These homemade Twix bars have 5 ingredients. 4 really. I mean it is mind blowing quite honestly. They taste exactly like Twix Bars - just a little heavy on the cookie part. If you double the chocolate and the caramel it will be the exact ratio. We used store bought shortbread cookies to save hours of time and turn this into a quick hella-amazing dessert. They are worth the calories. Just do extra lunges up your stairs tonight. Xx
Homemade Twix Bars
(2) 5.3 oz boxes Walkers Shortbread Cookies (16 cookies)
1 bag caramels or caramel bits
1 bag milk chocolate chips
2-3 tsp vegetable shortening
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Line an 8" X 8" pan with parchment paper. Place the 16 shortbread pieces in one layer tightly in the pan. Fill any remaining space in the pan with folded foil. Tip - Cover the open edge against the cookies with a strip of parchment. This will prevent the caramel from spreading over the foil and make removing the bars easier.
3. Unwrap caramels and place in microwave safe bowl. Heat at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted. Add heavy cream and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour melted caramel over the shortbread covering it evenly. Place in freezer 20-30 minutes or until set.
4. Remove pan from freezer. Use the parchment paper to lift the caramel covered cookies from the pan. Flip over onto a sheet of parchment so the cookies are facing up. With a sharp knife cut around each cookie.
5. Place half the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until completely melted. Remove from microwave and pour the remaining chips directly into the melted chocolate. Allow to sit for a minute or so then stir to combine. Add shortening and mix until smooth.
6. There are two ways to coat the bars with the chocolate: Spoon chocolate over the bars, spreading with an offset spatula to cover the top and sides. Place bars in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets. Remove from the fridge and flip bars over onto a piece of parchment. Reheat chocolate if needed and use an offset spatula to spread a layer over the exposed cookie. Return to the refrigerator to set.
OR You can also carefully dip each bar into the chocolate. Place coated bars onto the prepared pan. Repeat until all are done and return to fridge to set.
7. Eat and repeat. Probably best to not share with anyone : )