We are into fairies BIG TIME at our house. The fairies come at night and leave little gifts for Lily and Olive all the time. We even have a little fairy door in the house to make it easier for all the fairies to visit : )
So the other day when we were in the kitchen we decided to make a little fairy cake. I'm sure you have heard of fairy bread, so this is sort of a take on fairy bread, but obviously way cooler. Bahahahha.
It's a magical little cake and it's just perfect for a magical birthday party or well, just because it's a Wednesday and you are a super awesome parent. See below for the easy steps! Xx
Ingredients for Pound Cake
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. With a stand mixer, cream together your butter and shortening. Add sugar in small amounts until it's mixed in.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure to mix after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients and slowly add to the stand mixer. In between pours, add some of your milk, then continue with more dry ingredients, then more milk etc.
5. Now add in the vanilla and mix. Pour everything into a buttered and floured loaf pan. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from loaf pan and let cool.
6. To make the buttercream frosting, mix powdered sugar and butter with a handheld electric mixer on low speed.
7. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
8. Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, add a 1/2 teaspoon of more milk. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar. Add pink food coloring gel.
9. Slice your pound cake into 1" slices and spread layers with buttercream frosting. Top cake off with tiny sprinkles and serve.
TIP: You can also use a store-bought pound cake and save hours of your life : )