Homemade Granola Bars
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tbs butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 Chopped apricots
1/4 Chopped prunes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish on all sides and the bottom and line the bottom with parchment paper so the granola bars are sure to not stick.
2. Toss the oatmeal, almonds, wheat bran, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just lightly browned. DO NOT leave this in too long because it burns fast. Make sure to check it all the time.
3. While the dry ingredients toast, place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for one minute at a low boil, then set aside.
4. Scoop all your toasted dry ingredients into a large bowl and pour the wet mixture over the toasted mix. Add the chopped apricots, and prunes and stir well. You can always substitute different fruit.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture down into the pan. I line the top with parchment paper and use another pan to press down really firmly so my bars are super packed in. (See video)
6. Bake at 300 degrees now for 20-22 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool completely before slicing into bars. Serve at room temperature.